There’s nothing quite like having a good working fan in your kitchen if you cook big meals often. I never knew that these ventilation devices were good for much until I started dating my boyfriend, to be honest with you. I rarely cooked for myself, but he is a cooking fanatic who can’t help himself from making elaborate creations every night of the week. I’m extremely lucky for these reasons, and the perks are endless, however there is one area that the continual cooking affects. We have terrible air quality when he spends too much time fashioning spicy foods on the stovetop. After so many jalapenos, onions, and spices are thrown into a pan, they start to create truly toxic breathing air in your house. As our eyes and lungs start to burn, the only safety measure we have in place for relief is an overhead ventilation fan to pull the toxic indoor air straight out of the living area. Or at least, that’s the plan. When we moved into our new house, it was clear that the kitchen ventilation fan was not an effective appliance. Instead of venting the air outside, it simply circulated the indoor air back into the kitchen. We knew this wouldn’t work for us, so I called in a so-called ventilation specialist to direct the air outdoors. The only thing is, rather than pulling the spicy indoor air upwards and out the top of the roof, he ran the ductwork downwards into our basement laundry room. It took me over two months to figure out why our clothes were smelling so spicy.